This is a picture of me, working away and happy as a clam!
For fun, I work. It's true. But how can you call dreaming up ideas, stories, and drawing pictures, work? If you could see my toes, they'd be tapping.
Let's start at the beginning: I was born in Seoul, Korea to a Korean mom and American dad. I've lived the first eight years of my life in Korea and feel that that experience has given me a unique cultural perspective,– a blend of east and west. My aunt told me that I was a good blend of opposites, and funnily enough, that theme has shown up in my children's books. I adore contemplating opposites, how they aren't really two different things, as much as poles of the same thing.
Oh, here's a children's book related quirky detail: for a little while, my family lived with my American grandparents in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. My grandmother, a librarian, lived next to Dot Schart who happened to be Trina Schart Hyman's mother. For those of you who don't know, Trina Schart Hyman was a children's book author/ illustrator superstar. Naturally, my grandmother made sure I had all of Trina's books and I made the connection at a young age, that a person could do this! A person I (kind of) knew made books. I wanted to make a books, too. Career decision made!
Hmm...what else might you want to know about me? Yellow and orange are my favorite colors. Daisies are my favorite flower. I like being with my kids who are very funny and wise, and secretly mining them for material.
Okay! Down to business. Here are some of my recent professional highlights:
- I'm delighted that Up, Up, Up Down! a book written and illustrated by me has landed a home at Penguin/ Putnam. It's coming out Summer of 2019!
- Mad, Mad Bear, a book written and illustrated by me, is being published by Beach Lane Books, (a division of Simon and Schuster). Look for it this Fall!
- Another biggie! I have had the pleasure of illustrating The Class, a picture book by Boni Ashburn. 2016 Beach Lane Books, (a division of Simon and Schuster).
- Having my dream fulfilled, publishing my first children’s book, Today with Meg and Ted published by Golden Books an imprint of Random House Children’s Books.
- Winning the Portfolio Showcase at the 2013 SCBWI Editor's Day.
- Winning a Mentorship Award at the 2010 SCBWI Conference.
- Landing my dream design job at Hatch Design Group, where I learned so much, designed some beautiful spaces, and worked my way to Design Director.
- Launching a greeting card company, Lucky Baby Greetings, which sold cards to really lovely boutique shops like Kate’s Paperie, in NYC, Itoya, in Tokyo, Planet Blue Kids in Malibu, Party on La Cienega and many, many more shops.
- Licensing a CUTE line of baby toys, plush and decor items based on my designs.
Now, I live and work in Claremont, California. I’m surrounded by the people I love, the things I love, a garden I love, a tortoise and bunny I love, and nothing is more inspiring than that.